Our charity was established in 1996 and was originally named Dartford & Gravesham Women's Aid and then North Kent Women's Aid before adopting the name of Choices. It exists to provide help to all those who are experiencing domestic abuse.
How We Can Help
- We will listen to what you have to say
- We will be supportive and non judgemental
- We will give you information about options available to you so that you can make an informed decision about your future
- We can advise you about refuge accommodation locally and nationally
- We can signpost other agencies who can help
- We can reassure you that it is not your fault
We run four refuges in North Kent providing secure, temporary accommodation for women and their children who have had to leave their home as a result of domestic abuse. Refuge accommodation referrals will be taken from any part of the country - telephone 01322 384792 for further information.
We also provide hostel accommodation for homeless single young people aged between 16 and 25 years old. For further information please telephone 01474 352552.
We provide community support services to men, women and children in Dartford, Gravesham, Sevenoaks, Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge & Malling, and Medway.
You can access our community services via our Helpline 0800 917 9948.
For information regarding domestic abuse support services throughout Kent and Medway visit the website www.domesticabuseservices.org.uk If you live outside Kent and Medway you can find your local group by visiting the website of the national organisation the Women's Federation of England.
Abuse takes many forms - it is not just physical and can include verbal, psychological, emotional, sexual and financial. It can occur between any family members or even those who are simply living in the same house. The impact on an individual can be devastating leaving someone feeling worthless and helpless.
Other services we provide are:
- Education and Awareness raising in schools
- One Stop Shops offering support & advice to men and women in Dartford, Gravesham, Maidstone, Medway, Sevenoaks, and Tonbridge & Malling.
- Freedom Programme in Dartford, Gravesham and Maidstone
- Training in Domestic Abuse awareness for professionals
- Outreach support and advice to anyone who needs our services